The Aoraki Multicultural Council was formed in May 2004, as an initiative to raise funds for the Tsunami in South East Asia.
Following on, we became a member of NZFEC – Zealand Federation of Ethnic Councils (now New Zealand Federation of Multicultural Councils).
We now have members from 70 different cultural backgrounds involved in the council.
The Vision & Mission
- People valuing and celebrating cultural diversity
- To promote goodwill, tolerance and understanding among people of diverse ethnic cultures
- To work together in our community with the aim of fostering a tolerant and harmonious society
- The Aoraki community is one of inclusion and acceptance allowing all cultures to have a sense of belonging and know they are valued contributors
What we do
- Promote, preserve and support multi cultural customs, languages and cultures of the district through social contacts, festivals and gatherings
- Support and guide people on personal and community matters to help them settle while retaining their cultural identities
- Promote joint actions and interactions between different cultural groups within the region
Governance (Executive Committee)
Executive Committee of volunteers elected by the members at the AGM.
There are 7 committee members.
- Chairperson – Kate Wright
- Vice Chairperson – Leigh Lawless
- Treasurer- Kashyap Hari
- Secretary – Yuko Eguchi
- Tony Howey
- Belinda Dewe